Re: driver cooling

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, wheeltowheel@wheeltowheel.com
Subject: Re: driver cooling
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 11:34:15 -0700
 From the vintage race list

Wm. Severin Thompson wrote:
> I think the discussion of wetting down or not wetting down race apparel has
> been one of the most interesting topics on this forum for a very long time.
> I'm not sure we've arrived at a definitive answer yet, but it surely (don't
> call me "Shirley") has got plenty of us thinking.
>
> I was in the process of buying a new race suit during all of this, and ended
> up with a Pyrotect NASA suit. They claim its up to 25 degrees cooler than
> the average suit. It also has a very flexible fabric around the bicep,
> chest, and running down the side of the length of the legs. This makes is
> the most comfortable suit I've ever tried on. (Note to all... make sure you
> try and sit in driving position rather than standing up next time you're
> fitting a new suit...) Usually, a suit wants to creep un in some areas, and
> pull in others, and the flexible fabric in this suit seems less likely to do
> so.
>
> (Your mileage may vary...)
>
> WST

Yes I was very impressed by their product as well. My next suit will be
one of theirs. The quote I posted a few days ago about wetting underware
was also from their website. Their FIREWEAR underwear is different and
not made of Nomex, and they recommend wetting it. They claim to have SFI
approval for this; "The SFI Foundation states FIREWEAR underwear may be
soaked in water prior to use. Besides cooling, it will increase fire
safety. (We do not recommend soaking Nomex underwear.)"

--
Marc Sayer
Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956)

Passions -
Great Danes, auto racing and fast cars, my wife

Dogs -
Gracie, Tank, Delilah, PJ, & the rescue dogs

Cars -
82 280ZX Turbo, 83 Volvo 245, 93 Ford E150 Tow/dog van
71 510 Trans Am vintage racer, Zink based Formula V

My Homepage - http://gracieland.org

Deaf Dane Rescue Homepge - http://gracieland.org/DaneRescue/

Any Dane at the races is a Great Dane!