Hewland Fretting

To: "vintage-race@autox.team.net" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hewland Fretting
From: keith franck <kdfranck@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 09:12:20 -0700
Hey Bill, good advice! Thank you. I wasn't aware that was a another
benefit of peening.  I would describe the fretting extent as slight,
just enough to be unsightly and annoying. It'll have to await any
peening process until the next major overhaul. Do you have any peening
resources in the USA you would recommend?

BTW, there's lots of confirming info on the web if you search on
'peening' AND 'fretting'.

We're still using the spares we purchased back in the late sixties, so I
doubt it was done back then. Does peening the dog rings also extend the
fatigue lifetime significantly?
--
Keith Franck