Re: Digital CamCorders

To: "Vintage Race Net" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Digital CamCorders
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 07:24:54 -0500
I've had a couple of camcorders that we mounted to the rollbar.  Both
Sonys, both 8MM analog.  We now have a remote camera system from Racer
Parts Wholesale (you can see this by going to
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com and then clicking on SpeedCam Video on
the LH side of the page).  I ended up having the old camcorder refurbished
to use to record the signal from the remote camera.  Why would I do
something dumb like that?  The new camcorder DOESN'T ACCEPT OUTSIDE
INPUT!  Argghh!  Check out that feature before buying anything.  If you
ever want to go to a remote camera it's required.

We found that digital image stabilization helps the picture quality but
doesn't take the shake completely out of the video.  The remote camera
does.  But, the one I bought was $500-600.  I saw a post about an $89
remote camera - more details on that would be good.  The newer Sony
survived a multiple rollover wreck and provided entertaining video of the
whole thing, so it seems fairly durable.

I think the idea of using a remote camera and an inexpensive camcorder to
record the sound and picture is probably wisest.  The remote cameras seem
fairly durable, while the camcorders aren't really built for the vibration
of racing so are likely to fail after a few years and need
replacement.  But, we haven't killed one in the car yet.  First one failed
because I forgot to throw the camera bag in the car (left it at the track)
and it rained.  Oops.

- Tony Drews