Re: Mag polishing

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mag polishing
From: Dave Scarlett <Dave_Scarlett@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 16:22:11 -0800 (PST)
I had some mags professionally polished a couple of years ago. At first they

were great looking much like polished aluminum. However, the shop cautioned
me that they would quickly dull and corrode if not buffed on a frequent
basis. Also,  clear coating was a bad idea as the metal would off gas and
cloud the finnish from underneath. Well I buffed for a while but now theyre

as they were, dull with surface corrosion. I had asked a friend on the metal

polishing list if there is a solution but no answer. Ill just paint them
this year as powder coating might look nice but could hide any stress cracks

from the start.