Re: CART & Open Wheel Racing

To: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CART & Open Wheel Racing
From: "Reynolds" <grant62@starpower.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:00:15 -0400
The closest open wheel racing I've seen is from the cockpit of my Formula
Vee. The pros are better drivers than we are but there are good reasons why
they don't do much wheel to wheel stuff. Formula 1 races seem to be run on
gokart tracks that I'd run in 3rd gear in a Vee. No place to pass anywhere.
So the passing is done in pit stops. All three series use big wings that
create turbulence that discourages close racing. Who wants to have the
airflow over your wings disrupted at 200 plus? F1 allows so much clever and
expensive technology that driving skill is only a modest part of the
equation. Some cars just won't win - is Jacques Villenueve a has been or is
his car technologically inferior? I vote for the latter. IRL has a NASCAR
approach - virtually identical cars and engines - so they have some close
racing, and some horrendous crashes as a result. I don't much like oval
tracks because a small mistake - even somebody else's - is life-threatening.
    If you want to see close open wheel racing, FV and FF offer the best
road racing; or else sprint cars and midgets on ovals. Don't expect it from
$10 million dollar cars!
Grant Reynolds