Re: Cross-drilled Brake Rotors - Can they be turned?

To: lwdent@fwi.com, cfchrist@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Cross-drilled Brake Rotors - Can they be turned?
From: "Roger Sieling" <sarl45@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:35:28 -0400
Larry, Brian and others,

I wouldn't call Brian a hotdog. You or I have never seen him machine
anything. He may be quite competent, maybe more so than your brake guy. I
would agree that you could get taper, although I think you have it backwards
(the outer would be thicker). However, if light enough cuts are made and
repeated without advancing the tool, I see no reason why it couldn't come
true with no taper, it would just take longer than your brake guy would be
willing to spend. 2nd corilary to Koch's rule(Roger, not Bill) states "That
one can be as crude or as finise as one wants when it comes to one's own
car." This all has to do with cost and finding someone affordable that is
more qualified than yourself to do the job. As for a brake shop, most
chamfers I've seen on x-drilled rotors are about a 32nd deep and if your guy
is going to make them disappear, I think I'd rather let some "hot dog" do
the job, if all I'm trying to accomplish is smooth them up.

Roger