Re: Cross-drilled Brake Rotors - Can they be turned?

To: Charles Christ <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Cross-drilled Brake Rotors - Can they be turned?
From: lwdent <lwdent@fwi.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:00:36 -0500
OK, now that we have all pooled our ignorance, here is the straight
scoop on drilled rotors and turning same, right from Brake Materials and
Products.

No problem in turning (cutting, dressing) any drilled rotor.  If the
drillings have a champher, as some do, you will loose the champher.

To the hot dog machinist that wanted to do it in his lathe, let me
stress that this cannot be done with proper accuracy.

A brake lathe cuts both sides of the disk at once so that forces are
equal on both sides and the disk will not flex and cause a taper.  This
will happen if you cut one side, the cut the other.  The disk will be
thinner on the outside with a taper on BOTH surfaces.

I owned an automobile machine shop for many years.  Just revivified all
that with Scott Bethke at Brake Materials.

Larry Dent