Oil temperature experiences

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil temperature experiences
From: "Peter Mohr" <sciolto2@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 11:39:54 -0400
I had yet another new experience racing this past weekend in the wet at
Summit and would appreciate any ideas on the circumstances.

The car is an F70, rear engine with a dry sump, tank mounted in engine bay,
out of direct air flow. The temp guage is a Smiths traditional one and has
appeared to work correctly in the past.

Pre race we heated the oil to around 70C, totally blanked off the oil
radiator and blanked off much of the water radiator - leaving false grid,
water was 90C and oil about 65C.

However as the race went on, the oil temp reading dropped lower and lower -
finally showing about 40C ....... far too low for a BDD engine. Meanwhile
water temp was reasonable (about 80C)

Yes, there was still oil in the tank! and the sender unit is intact in spite
of a bit of ploughing.

My theory.... as the sender unit is mounted in the base and was getting a
great blast of water and air on it/past it, the sender contents (can't think
of correct name - craft again) were being refridgerated thus giving a false
reading.

Any clues or opinions ??

SCIOLTO
Ralt RT1