Re: Summit Point Zoning - Update

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Summit Point Zoning - Update
From: "Gregory Nagy" <gnagy@intrepid.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 00:08:19 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: <Mactds@aol.com>
To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 5:48 PM
Subject: Summit Point Zoning - Update

> This just in from a friend who attended the meeting.
>
> Regards, Maura
>
> Just got back from the Summit Point Zoning meeting, and we didn't loose
> - in fact it would appear that both sides may have won.  It appears, and
> what was said at the meeting, there had been a meeting between Bill
> Scott and the local neighbors that had organized CARE.  At this meeting
> they came to some form of agreement, good enough for both sides that
> they have joined forces and will be submitting a Joint proposal for
> Summit Point Raceway's new Zoning.   Unfortunately they did not have
> this new zoning ordinance completed so it was not presented to the
> commission - which also means I have no idea what's in it.   John
> Burkhard, DC Region's Webmaster, was there and I believe he got to talk
> to someone who gave him more info.  He was headed home to get something
> up on the web site, tonight.   It was a packed house with 95% of the
> turnout wearing SPARC or Summit Point Automotive Research Center badges.
>
> If I hear, or see, any more in the local Press will pass it along.
>
> Lin

     I was there tuesday night, and yes, it WAS pretty packed. I would guess
at least 120 people there, with less than 20 of the people being from the
community group. Things pretty much went as mentioned above... allthough
there were two people from the "care" group who used the ability to make
amendments (but not comments) to rail on  and on about how "terrible" the
noise is. They of course offered a vauge" there should be some sort of noise
reduction" amendment. Aside from Bill Scott's Lawyer, no one offered any
amendments on behalf of the tracks cause. (I was tempted to suggest a
blanket noise limit for the whole town, and see what CSX would then do about
it. =)

      There was an article in the Wednesday edition of "The Journal", a regi
onal newspaper out of Martinsburg, WV. The article pretty much had the same
information as seen above, but also stated that the building Bill wants to
put up is a "dormatory" for visiting students. There was also mention of
some of the complaints being tied to the shooting range at the track. The
same letter to the editor that I sent out to the list last week, also
appeared in the Jouranls editorial page today.

The Spirit of Jefferson comes out on thusdays, and I will pick one up then.

The planning commission will meet again on this issue to vote on the unified
proposal on February 13th. I do not think we are out of the woods yet and
will still have to make sure the suporters of the track are heavy in
attendance.  We will also have to be better prepared to respond to rhetoric
of some of the townsfolk, even if it means being done as part of an
amendment or proposal.

--
Gregory Nagy