Re: MGB rear axles

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB rear axles
From: "Roger Sieling" <sarl45@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 10:04:55 EDT
NO NO NO. Later MGBs have the same type of axle you already have. It is the
earlier ones which are full floaters. Someone one this thread early on
stated that some very early Sprites were full floater, but in reality, they
all were, at least until 1974 and the TR engined Midget.

Why doesn't someone out there in the TR community figure out how to make a
conversion to put full floater hubs onto the ends of TR axle housings. It
would certainly seem feasible to me. The adapter could pilot into the
housing where the bearing presses in now, held in with the same bolts which
retain the bearing retainer and brake back plate. One disadvantage of full
floaters is that the ends of the axle housing must be threaded, usually with
very fine threads and not much material beneath the threads. If and when
they fail, you pitch the whole housing and start with another. With an
adapter, you'd just replace it and be ready to go. You could even carry a
spare.

Roger Sieling