Re: Quiet? Knockoff vs Bolted Wheels

To: "Vintage Race Digest" <vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Quiet? Knockoff vs Bolted Wheels
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:19:09 -0400
Jeff: If you have wirewheels on your Jag now, it's easy to go with
knockoffs.  If you have to convert from w/w to bolt-ons, it is extra work.
But, given my druthers, I'd go with bolt-ons.

Since my MG has w/w's & I wanted to stay with that look, I opted for
knock-off alloys for racing.  I did install new front hubs to avoid any
spline destruction on the front wheels and to add some security. (And, this
is a 33 year old car that has seen its share of front-end banging around
including one accident that destroyed a wire wheel.)  New rear hubs are on
the list.

Thus far, I am satisfied with the situation.  At Summit Point last year, I
thought I had a problem with the wheels (Some Digesters may remember my
posting about vibration above 80 mph.).  It turned out to be the tape-on
wheel weights (placed at the very edge of the inner wheel.) hitting the
too-fat tie rod ends.  New, smaller diameter tie-rod ends solved the
problem.

Norm SIppel
'66 MGB daily driver, occasional racer