Re: Spridget 1275 crankshaft

To: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>, <vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Spridget 1275 crankshaft
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:52:23 -0700
I understand what you have said and was told by Laystall Engineering the
same thing about "Nitridable steel alloys," yet empirically have found the
following.  I went through 3 cranks in quick succession.  Each lasted 7,000
miles of hard street driving and weekend autocrossing.  I was using a rev
limit of 6800 rpm with a TR-4 engine in a Morgan.  each of the cranks had
been magnafluxed, was standard size ( had the factory radii on all the
journals) and two of them had been shot peened in the radii.  In each case,
after 7,000, almost like clockwork, a vibration that had not been present in
the engine upon assembly appeared. Pulling the pan and #4 rod cap revealed a
crack in the inside rear radius of the rod journal.  The next crank I used
was "deep case nitrided".  It has run over 30,000 miles on the street, all
hard miles, and over 30 race weekends, all using a 6800 rpm rev limit.  The
rods, pistons and pins were all lightened a lot, the rods over 1/2 lb. each,
mostly off of the big end.  This crank is still good and passes mag.  I have
seen 4 or 5  unmodified street  TR-3s and 4s with broken cranks and twice
that number which would not pass mag, none of the engine that we have
rebuilt with nitrided cranks have cracked or broken, to my knowledge.

Regards, Greg Solow