Re: fuel gauge help needed

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: fuel gauge help needed
From: "Tom & Diane Kubler \(Kraftwerks\)" <kubler_td@gowebway.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 23:10:25 -0700
Jack
    My experience with three terminal senders are that they are for cars
equipped with low fuel warning lights.  Apply power to one terminal; measure
the voltage out of the other two.  If the tank is empty or nearly so, one
terminal will read full voltage while the other much less (generally 2-3 V).
The full voltage terminal is for the idiot light.  The low voltage terminal
is to the gauge and the terminal you applied power to goes to a constant
voltage regular or other power lead.  BUT WAIT! you would get the same
result if you have power applied to the idiot light terminal.  SO RETEST
with the sender in a half tank or fuller condition.  If you have no power at
the idiot light terminal nor at the gage terminal you've got the idiot light
and power terminals reversed.

Why don't these kind of senders cause the tanks to blow?

Tom Kubler