Re: surge tank/catch tank

To: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: surge tank/catch tank
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 23:18:18 -0000
wweeelllllll, we are uncertain.   it was a package deal.  one of those "you
want that, take ALL of that too" sort of deals.  it started out as a search
for old saab 2 stroke parts for my '60 sedan project.  and snowballed into
an avalanch of all sorts of stuff from sheet metal both new and used to
voltage regulators and lamps and lenses.  it almost qualifies us to be an
auto parts store by ourselves.  there is tons of stuff that really must be
recycled(literally).  although if you posess a hillman or a simca there are
a bunch of parts there.   i was interested in the old bosch , lockheed,
girling and dunlop parts myself.

my partner in crime jon was interested in mgb and early honda civic stuff.
he scored for his mgb's (has 2) a pair of new front fenders, 3 new quarter
panels, pair of door skins, 1 used rt. door, 1 used trunk lid, 5 wire
wheels, 2 early seats, complete top with iorns, 1 new 6 volt batt., a pair
of replacement floor skins, and a new front valance.  for the honda he has
scored 2 new front fenders, new hood, 2 replacement quarter panel repair
panels and 2 repair rocker skins, and a new weber replacement carb for the
darn honda!
i scored a new bosch starter and generator/ waterpump, new pair of front
shocks, a clutch disc and pressure plate, 2 master cylinder rebuild kits,
1set of front brake shoes and 2 sets of rear shoes , and a big bag of
aeroquip fittings(like an amazing bunch of new stuff)   for my saab sedan
project.

quite honestly we are overwhelmed!  there are around 100-150 mixed front
fenders from the 70's for imports, assorted mercedes rocker skins and
quarter panel repair panels, 100-125 sets of brake shoes, around 300
assorted koni, boge, armstrong, kyb, and others shocks and struts.  boxes of
armstrong lever shocks some are very large fronts for who knows what!  about
150-200clutch discs and pressure plates for god knows what.  around 30 vw
bus and bug mufflers from a 1949 25hp transporter on up to modern
transporter!  bunches of vw bug and bus turn signal switches, wiper motors,
lenses and lamp assy's(bug).

it is just incredible!  now to sort it all out and decide what is going to
import carlisle!  as we start to decode part numbers on boxes with catalogs
we recieved with this collection we are planning to sell what we can to
suport our desire to go racing!  like i said it started out as getting the
stuff for our cars as cheap old dead stock helping the store to purge their
old stock for our projects with future consideration of a mention on our
cars in the form of advertising.  it snowballed into an agreement to do a
total buy out of all old stock and an agreement to do this on a once a year
basis here after.   lots of good fabrication bits and pieces and lots of
stuff to pass on to other foregin car addicts after it has been identified.
jeez! all we wanted was to get old parts that were dead stock cheap( or
free) to cut down our costs in the restoration of our joint projects!  and
of course to get to the end of all this negotiation...go racing!

so that's the story!  a good idea gone completly out of controll!
chuck.
quote of the day!  hey look over here!  2 new front fenders and a hood for a
renault le car!(we really do have a front set of this stuff!)  it's the
simca stuff that bothers me!    any one have a audi 80 or 100?  lets talk!
shudder, cringe, ...............