Re: roebling road

To: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: roebling road
From: Bob Spruck <bspruck@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:55:30 -0400
Chuck:
I solved the vibrating/leaking dipstick problem by getting a light spring
of the proper length from the drawers at Pep Boys and attaching it to the
finger loop at the end of the dipstick and a little bracket I made that is
screwed under the oil pan bolt directly below the dipstick. One end of the
spring is permanently twisted around the hole in the bracket while the hook
on the other end goes into the fingeer loop. It offers light but sufficient
pressure to keep the dipstick in the hole and I always know where my
dipstick is. I also slid an old distributor cap wire boot over the dipstick
so that it fits tightly over the plastic tube the stick rests on to even
further prevent any leaks from that source. Have never had any problems
with leaks, losing the dipstick, or whatever.
YMMV, but it works for me.

At 09:46 AM 04/07/2000 +0000, Charles Christ wrote:
>we had a long drive (14hrs.) thursday night to friday morning to get to the
>track with peter's morgan in tow.  it was a rough drive thick fog in north
>carolina on I-95 had produced a multiple fatality crash wich had south bound
>closed and we got off at the last exit to detour around accident.  thank god
>for the c.b. radio!  arriving late at the track we found a very nervous
>peter looking for his car.  the car was running fine with the exception of a
>cooling system problem wich plagued us all weekend.  a tire tube failure
>saturday caused a few tense moments.  but all things considered we kept
>peter running all weekend in spite of the stupid dip stick vibrating up out
>of the tube and oiling the headers looking like it was leaking seriously.
>fixed that!  plugged the tube and stowed the dipstick!  we must have looked
>silly in the pits constantly massaging the morgan.  i swear this car likes
>to be touched!  but after sunday's race we loaded up and headed north on 95
>again (13hrs.) going north.  rolled into the driveway at 7:30 am monday just
>in time for my partner in crime jon to warm up his truck and get to work.
>we really enjoyed the track.  the weather was a sudden change from the cool
>north east we had left and returned to.  hope evryone had a safe trip
>home(where ever that may be).  see y'all at the next event!
>
>chuck
>speed research and restoration vintage racing
>btw.  hope i didn't scare anyone shucking those yummy oysters with my
>(oversized) pocket knife!
>         i looked around and saw evryone else using the provided impliments
>and decided"bigger was  better", untill i looked around and noticed i was
>being watched very carefully and had lots more room where i was standing
>than evryone else.   oops!  it was just a case of improvise and overcome!

Regards,

Bob Spruck
Sharpsburg, GA
' 67 Midget Vintage Racer