Re: Speed differentials and the ultimate place to race?

To: hayes@mediaone.net, Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu
Subject: Re: Speed differentials and the ultimate place to race?
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 15:28:50 PST
>From: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
>To: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
>CC: "'vintage-race@autox.team.net '" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Re: Speed differentials and the ultimate place to race?
>Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 18:41:43 -0500
>
>Correct!
>Jim
>
>Jim Hill wrote:
> >

> > Jim Hayes wrote:
> >
> > >Trivia points to those who can identify the following:
> > >Who was Levegh's co driver?
> >
> > John Fitch
> >
> > >Who swerved into the pits possibly causing the accident?
> >
> > Mike Hawthorn, who went on to win the race in a Jaguar D-Type with
>co-driver
> > Ivor Bueb.
> >
> > Jim Hill
> > Madison WI

    Looking at contemporary photos of the pit area of Lemans, it was
    just a two lane road, for the course, and scarcely more than a
    third lane which made the pits. Drivers would commonly pull out
    into race traffic from a dead stop... I'm surprised a tradgedy
    didn't happen sooner. There wasn't many options for Levegh when
    Hawthorn braked and swerved into the paddock.

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois
1962 TR4 (CT4852L)