Re: blown ulster

To: Alan@roverworks.com (Alan Simpson), vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: blown ulster
From: Ralph Steinberg <ralph@cloverleaf-auto.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 07:07:46 -0500
At 07:22 PM 02/15/2000 -0800, Alan Simpson wrote:
>Greetings!I am on a quest for parts and advice.We are currently
>restoring,and plan on racing a blown 1930 Austin Ulster (yes it is a real
>one).Most of the parts have not been a problem until we went looking for
>pistons.Apparently good quality ones are hard to get and our requirement is
>for a solid skirt,providing another level of difficulty again.Should we
>have to have some made could I have some recommendations of a capable firm?
>I am also looking for an RJF20 regulator/cut out for my 1937 Riley
>special.Pre-war electrical parts would seem to be very scarce.
>Click here for Free Video!!
>http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/

    We have used both egge pistons, www.egge.com  and arias racing pistons,
www.ariaspistons.com for hard to find pistons. Egge has cast pistons and
for most uses of our pre-war cars they have been fine. Under the stress of
racing we have found the forged pistons of Arias to be better. {we were
racing a SS100 for a time at about 60 over and around 10.5 compression. We
destroyed the stock cast pistons. We have around 5 seasons on the forged
pistons {though we cut the compression down to just under 9} and have had
no problems. On your regulator/cut out. We have wound up pulling the coils
out of new regulators and then sodering them into the old unit. Or in some
cases leaving the old unit in with no coils and hiding a delco voltage
regulator under the dash and wiring it in. We did this for a 38 SS100 that
does a lot of endurance rallies. So far none of the judges in car shows has
ever seen the voltage regulator when they judge the car. The owner does not
really care if they find it or not. As he is a lot more concerned with no
problems on the road than a point in a show
Ralph
www.cloverleaf-auto.com