bladder/cell for original fuel tank

To: "vintage-race-digest" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: bladder/cell for original fuel tank
From: "n" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:51:42 -0500
David Moulton asked re. a bladder inside his Sprite's tank.

I looked into that last year for my MGB.  Since I'm one of those
"old-fashioned" guys who likes to drive my B both on the street (regularly)
and on the track (occasionally), I thought that would be an easy way to
satisfy the safety regulations for racing without sacrificing practicality
for the street.  However, I opted not to do it that way.

If my failing memory serves me right, the cost of a bladder was pretty high.
And, it didn't make as much sense as a custom fuel cell.  My conversations
with the folks at ATL in Ramsey, NJ led me to what I find is a very
satisfactory solution - a fuel cell with 12.5 gal capacity that fits in the
space formerly occupied by the original gas tank.

It did require a lot of vary careful measuring to use every last 1/2 inch of
space that was available.  But, I couldn't be more pleased with the results.
It even retains the original location for the filler.  The only sacrifice is
in the loss of some space in the trunk for the additional plumbing and
wiring.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB street/track