Re: New Tire Regulations

To: tmatycho@ix.netcom.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Tire Regulations
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 03:28:31 EST
In a message dated 12/16/99 8:18:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tmatycho@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< the so-called rule has never been
 articulated >>

Tom:

Excerpting from the existing tire rules from the "CSRG 1999 General Rules &
Safety Regulations" for HISTORIC classified cars (which impact what you & I
drive)....

"The use of today's available vintage type race tires is encouraged and
preferred, but modern street tires from any manufacturer are acceptable under
the following restrictions.....

...HISTORIC
For cars using the Historic style of preparation in categories 3,5, and 7 the
following tires are allowed:

Any fully treaded Vintage race tire, including asymetrical tread tires
DOT approved tires with an aspect ration not less than 60 and a treadwear
rating of 40 or greater.   (Note:  I was wrong here...I thought it was >0).
Molded tread re-caps

Tire sizing (diameter and width) must meet 1967 or earlier specs
and......blah blah.

Examples of DOT approved tires that are NOT acceptable:
Goodyear GSCS
Hoosier Radial
Any other new tire with a wear rating less than 40."

It is my understanding that this is the rule that was changed at the last
board meeting, to eliminate the possibility of using DOT approved radials,
regardless of wear rating, and instead require bias plies.

Under the above, Hoosier Street TDs would not be acceptable, unless they are
considered vintage  type race tires.  Hooser Street TD bias plies have a wear
rating of 0.  Which is ironic, since of all the tires being used, Hoosier
Street TD's are the most like vintage bias ply race tires....go figure?

You went on to add...
>>I expect the board of a vintage club of which I am a member to be more
concerned with the whole picture of vintage racing and preserving the
vintage aspects as opposed to pushing the performance envelope.<<

The performance envelope has nothing to do with trying to be consistent.  The
existing rules are working just fine, in my opinion.  We can race with CSRG,
VARA, or whomever without having to have special tires and/or setups.  I'll
take this any day over changing everything just because some other tires LOOK
more vintage...I see nothing wrong with what''s written above.....and it took
the board several years to get to that point...NOW they want to change it
again.

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (with a different tire on each corner...just to confuse 'em)
Cortina Mk1 #128