Re: Alfa engine swap

To: Martin Filardi <filardi@uconect.net>
Subject: Re: Alfa engine swap
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:47:48 -0700
I don't think it'll fit. I think the head stud holes are smaller on a 1750
head. The spacing might be different too. The 1750 and 1600 share a lot of
dimensions. I've used a 1600 head gasket on a 1750 to cure head gasket
sealing problems. With a 2000 head, isn't it possible to put in bigger
valves than on a 1750? I would tend to think the better breathing potential
of a 2000 head is more important than any minor improvement in compression
from using a 1750 head. If you want more compression, change the pistons.

The oil gets to the top of the head via passageways that lead straight up
to each cam bearing. The head gasket has o-rings around these passages.
O-ring failure is a traditional problem with these motors. It can be
cured by using roll pins in the block, or special o-rings that are better
than the factory ones.