Re: More on Flag Knowledge....

To: MHKitchen@aol.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More on Flag Knowledge....
From: Tombread@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 20:26:00 EST
Re: the question about the overtaking flag:  when I got my SCCA novice license
many years ago, there was a written exam given prior to any track time and the
two required driver's schools.  The written exam included questions about
flags (making it clear that particularly here in Indianapolis, the displayed
white flag does NOT mean "one more lap to go"). Later, my IMSA license was
granted solely on the basis of SCCA national race finishes.  I would hope any
primary sanctioning body includes a written test with flag identification as a
prerequisite to licensing.

If the chap who asked the question was an enthusiast or spectator, it was a
fair inquiry.  If he has actually driven in competition, it was a scary
inquiry.  Your alarm was understandable.
Tom Butters