Re: Brakes

To: Doug Wilson <dwilson@america.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:55:08 -0400
I've been following this thread, and while I don't know much about Trans Am
brakes in specific, I've just been through some M/C size issues on my car.
A smaller M/C bore size gives softer brake feel, at the expense of greater
pedal travel.  Larger sizes give a harder feel, with less travel (the
proverbial rock hard pedal if you go too far).  The effect at the caliper
end is the inverse, since what you're doing is playing with bore ratios.

The smaller cylinder can create higher line pressures than the larger one,
since it has a smaller surface area to generate the pressure.  But it has to
move farther to displace the fluid required to actually move the slave
cylinders.  You can get the same effect by changing the pedal ratio - more
leverage equals higher pressures and longer movement for a given amount of
force.

Keep in mind also that twin M/C divide the pedal force, while tandem (dual
in-line) M/C give all the force to both chambers of the dual M/C.  This is
where the whole thing gets too complicated for me and I get the books out!

Brian