Re: An Exhaust Question

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: An Exhaust Question
From: Mark Donaldson <ardmore@voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 21:33:58 -0800
Simon Favre wrote:

> Ok, since everybody's asleep dreaming of apexes, I'll pose a question.
>
> I have a problem with my exhaust system.  Where the tube steel headers
> go into a 4:1 collector, it is leaking.  2 of the 4 tubes are rattling
> around loose, leaking exhaust.

        Snip snip

> There's also no easy way to just weld the whole thing up as the
> innermost edges of the 4 tubes are somewhat inaccessible.
>
> Question:  Is there a decent way to seal up tubes that are supposed to
> be removable without actually removing them?  Has anybody diluted
> muffler cement and injected it into such a joint?  That's my current
> notion.  Opinions?

        Simon,
        From what you describe, I had a similar problem with a 3-into-1
        (one of a pair). I solved it by heating up the whole area until
        it was cherry red, then running a  L O N G  Silfoss rod down into
        the cavity from the outside to puddle up the hole.
        It worked well, but damn near roasted my knuckles!

        My ventures with muffler cement have all been dead losses. In a
        short space of time it seems to fracture, and the exhaust shock
        waves blow it out. The most effective seals seem to be a mixture
        of rust and carbon!  ;-)

        Mark
        Auckland