An Exhaust Question

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: An Exhaust Question
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 17:48:25 PST
Ok, since everybody's asleep dreaming of apexes, I'll pose a question.

I have a problem with my exhaust system.  Where the tube steel headers
go into a 4:1 collector, it is leaking.  2 of the 4 tubes are rattling
around loose, leaking exhaust.  This causes backfires, and is most
likely screwing up the readings I get with my fancy O2 meter.  The O2
sensor is just downstream of the collector.  I tried to remove the
collector to no avail.  It appears one of the 4 header pipes was
inadvertently welded to the collector.  It has an overlapping tab with a
bolt thru it to hold it on, a common practice.  It appears that when the
tab was welded to the outer part, the weld penetrated all the way to the
inner part, preventing me from pulling the collector off.  This is a
custom collector so I'm reluctant to hack it up and peel the offending
part off.  If there was an off-the-shelf replacement, I'd try that.
There's also no easy way to just weld the whole thing up as the
innermost edges of the 4 tubes are somewhat inaccessible.

Question:  Is there a decent way to seal up tubes that are supposed to
be removable without actually removing them?  Has anybody diluted
muffler cement and injected it into such a joint?  That's my current
notion.  Opinions?