Re: Roll bar question

To: Clark@dnf.com
Subject: Re: Roll bar question
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:34:41 PST
Clark wrote:

> I an investigating a roll bar that is for sale on another list.  It is
> described as follows:
>
> "It was made in San Francisco in the late 50's or 60's and has a brass
> plate riveted to it that says:
>
>       Manufactured by
>       WM. BACHMAN
>        San Francisco
>
> Has anyone heard of this company?  Assuming is appears to be in good
> shape and fits my dimensions, is there any reason to steer away from a
> "period piece" like this?

Well, I did hear of one guy building a hot rod lakester just so he could
use a period custom windshield, so maybe this is not too wierd after
all.  I would believe that metallurgy has improved in the last 40 years,
so you should be able to have something stronger made now.  I know how
unusual your car is.  Are you sure this bar will fit without perhaps
compromising the integrity of the mountings?

Have it crack tested if you get it.  After it's mounted, I would hit it
with a torch at the joints to normalize any stress induced by the
mounting process.

I know somebody who can build you a real nice custom one once the car is
in towable condition.  He uses a TIG welder about the size of a VW Bug.