Re: Winter philospohy discussion

To: hayes@mediaone.net, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Winter philospohy discussion
From: Wrtr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 08:58:12 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-12-01 04:21:32 EST, hayes@mediaone.net writes:

<< If I could make one recommendation to VMC, I would suggest the
 definition of a "preservation class" to be adopted by all sanctioning
 bodies. The VSCCA rules are perfect, in my opinion, 1) it must be an
 approved pre-59 VSCCA car and 2) it must lap Lime Rock SLOWER than 1:20.
 No rules on tires, period modifications, etc. - just lap times! It was
 supposedly the biggest group at the LRP Finale. >>

    Could you tell us more about this preservation class? I have heard only
good things about it. My humble suggestion to this end would be a cutoff of
about 1965, allowing in some fun cars that aren't hugely expensive, but still
keeping some sanity in driving and preparation. Oh, I think the cars must be
street licensed too.

     The title of another posting on this topic referred to "legaility"
Frankly I don't think that is what we are discussing here. Legality implies
rules and cheating and lawyers. What we are reaching for in these latest
postings is more attitude and sportsmanship. I know, it is in mankind's
nature to abuse both of those quaint concepts, but if we don't stand up for
them, who will?

Kevin Clemens
MGTD, !927 Chrysler