Re: Science Project

To: "Joel A. Charbonnet Jr." <joel@pe.net>
Subject: Re: Science Project
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:26:25 -0400
Get a block of balsa woodfrom the hobby store, some polyurethane from the
plastic store, some lead shot from the fishing store ( or other weighty
stuff) and some 1/16" music wire, also from hobby store.

Carve your car body from the balsa wood - 1950's F-1 would be about right
(and Vintage!).  Add the weight as ballast - use the lead shot to get it as
heavy as possible, to have increased mass to help overcome friction.  Use
the music wire as axles, and work to get a little spring, to help the car
ride easy over bumps.

Turn the wheels out of the polyurethane.  This is where you can gain a bit.
Assuming the track is hard, put a knife edge on the tread, to minimize
friction.  The poly is self lubricating, but drill a lube hole so that you
can spray WD-40 or moly spray lube into the bearing surface before a run.

Having written this, it sounds like a lot of fun!

Brian