Re: Helmets & Suits

To: <DWhitesdJr@aol.com>, <jrhill1@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Helmets & Suits
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 23:08:23 -0500
> The open face helmets depends on the group.  I have used an open faced
helmet
> at the Monaco & Monterey Historics without any questions, but I was not
> allowed to use the same helmet at Lime Rock this month.  SVRA has allowed
it
> at times and banned it at others.  The safe method is to make sure you
have a
> legal full-face helmet in the trailer just in case.
> The SVRA requires three layers of protection -- either a three later suit
or
> a two layer suit plus nomex underwear.  I believe they also will allow a
one
> layer suit with two sets of underwear, but why not spend the extra few
bucks
> on a good two or three layer suit.  It would cost alot less than even one
day
> in a burn center.

Jim and all,

I have been a corner worker for 11 years. Several events that I worked were
very lightly staffed, due to poor worker turnout. When I worked the SVRA
Triumph Birthday Party @ Mid Ohio in 1992, I was stunned at the huge
distances between maned stations. I worked corner 1 on that Sunday, the
next manned station was the keyhole, corner 3. That has to be at least 1/3
mile, a long run for a worker carrying a fire bottle, a long time to wait
for a driver/car on fire.

The high profile events always attract plenty of workers, often the more
club like vintage events do not. Do you really want to just buy minimum
standards protection for use under those circumstances?

Irv
Milwaukee Region SCCA