Re: Stirling Moss black flagged?

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stirling Moss black flagged?
From: "Christopher H. Kang, MD" <chkangmd@qnis.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 22:27:19 -0700
Malcolm Cox wrote:

> Rumor has it that Stirling Moss was black flagged at Monterery Historics
> for pushing a Shelby off track.

I don't recall that he acutally pushed the other car off, he just got
under someone else going into the turn and caused a little spin. Moss
continued for at least a couple of laps more(being black flagged each
time!) until there was a full course yellow for another incident-then he
came in. A couple of boss 302 mustangs in the transam race also got
together in a corner and dented fenders. It's really unsual to see so
much (2) fender banging at Monterey.

FYI, this year seemed to have even more commercial presence than
usual(even my father in law the non race guy noticed). Nothing i could
pin my finger on, just that it's become like a professional race(CART,
etc.). Does that mean Earl is doing a better job?

There was the Chapparrel "I" there, I'd never seen it before, finished
mid upper pack in the race. No Scarab to see a comparison- that would
have been interesting. Also appearing was a Lotus 30 which there were
only 4 made.  The Williams (?Uber ..somebody-sorry..)F1 car from
Switzerland (prior posting re US Customs wouldn't let it enter) was
there/made it if I ID'd the car # correctly. There was a Trans Am
feature race like last year. no Can-Ams this yr. It sure was niece to
hear the Ford GT's screaming around, reminded me that their V-8 exhaust
shriek was  unmistakable, like the P-51 Mustang RR engine.

and yes, jay leno was there on Sat. I even saw him eating dinner in
Carmel although that still doesn't come close to seeing Fangio in one of
the stores buying some socks a few yrs ago! :) :)

christopher