...out of the closet.

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: ...out of the closet.
From: Clark Smith <Clark@dnf.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 16:22:14 -0700
Hi All.

I have an anouncement to make.  I have purchased a car that I hope to
restore and race along side of you guys.  That's the good news.  The bad
new is that when it does finally have an engine, it will be of the Porsche
356 variety.  I will be one of the dreaded "cheater Porsches"  I've read
about.  Although, if you saw the car now you would think I was the one who
was "cheated".

Heck, I couldn't hold out any longer for another SIAM to come on the market.

Anyway, this car is totally tube framed with the chassis section from the
front to rear torsion bars mostly Porsche.  The serial number indicates a
1953 vintage car actually built in 1952.

The body is mostly Devin.  The front trunk lid and rear deck (with two
headrests) are made of thick aluminum covered in fiberglass.  Having
received the Vintage Motorsport article on Devin and a tremendously large
package of photocopies of vintage Devin literature (from very generous
subscribers to this list) I have determined that this car has a more
rounded nose than most of the Ermini/Ferrari Monza style bodies that Devin
built.  Most others have a sharper "crease" connecting the  head lights
(almost like a smile).

My car was apparently built for lightness.  Without engine and interior,
but with transmission, I estimate the car weighs about 600 pounds.   The
fuel tank is located as far forward as possible, actually where a radiator
would be (obviously to help with the Porsche rear weight bias).  "Lead with
the flamables", I alway say.  The fuel filler is "conveniently" located
inside the  driver's side front wheel well and requires that the driver
steer the wheel as far left as possible to access it.

Between the efforts to save weight and the lack of such conveniences, I am
hoping that this car was built with the track in mind.  I can piece the
history of owners back to 1966:

? to 1966  Merton Lee Reichhardt

1983 to 1990  Robert L. Butts

Garth Beers/ Wynand Vandenberg  1994

Of course, it is before 1966 that interests me most.  I have made no
attempt to contact any of these previous owners yet, though Merton
Reichhardt has not come up on any internet searches so far.

I originally believed that this car was owned by actor, Richard Boone of
"Have Gun Will Travel" fame.  His car was based on a Speedster chassis and
I doubt there was any tube framing involved.  I have spoken with Bill
Devin, but not since I have had a chance to create these theories.  If any
one would like to see the car, please visit
http://dnf.com/devin-porsche.html

My work life has been hectic.  When I asked this list for a trailer, I had
several of you respond with very generous offers.  I was trying to juggle
my own schedule with the trailer, truck and seller's schedules.  If I
didn't respond to any of you, please forgive me.  I have come to understand
a great deal about what makes up the vintage racing
fraternity/sorority(sp?) and it's clearly based on seeing everyone succeed.
I look forward to contributing.

If anyone remembers any Devin-Porsche cars that ran in the period (this
means you, too, Ron Yates) or knows any of the names above, well, you
know...

Thanks.

Racing by 40 or bust,

Clark