Re: Alfa Racer for Sale

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Alfa Racer for Sale
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 9:39:03 PDT
Alright, so now we're bringing this out into the harsh light of day.
This was my private reply to all the snickering about the price...

...  I saw a piece-of-sh*t Giulietta Spider in Fantasy Junction for
$18000.  The best way to make a small fortune on a race car is to start
with a LARGE fortune.  ;=)

Alfa languishes from having virtually NO image in this country other
than being one of the "lesser" Italian makes.  Outside of the rabid
Alfisti (me included), there isn't much of a market.  You want to talk
about a non-existant market, try getting ANY money for a Bourgeault.
There's been one in Reno for sale for several years for $40K.  It would
be a killer FB car with the right motor.  Mine had been waiting for a
buyer for a year and a half when I bought it.  I got a better price, but
I still knew I'd probably never be able to sell it.  With restoration
costs what they are, it's trivially easy to spend 5 times what a car is
worth.  At that point, you're basically renting the nameplate.  ;=(

If the vintage grids are swelling, what's filling them up???  Formula
Fords?  MGB's?  Triumphs?