Re: one off????

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: one off????
From: Dr G W Owen <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 16:14:36 +0000 (GMT)
Is it to do with the goveners fitted to stationary engines? They work by
having two balls on springs on a shaft that rotates at a speed
proportional to engine speed. As the engine speed increases, centripetal
force causes teh balls to spin at an increased radius. The movement out
of the balls is conected to the throttle. At a steady state, the balls are
at a given position for the load, an increase in load causes the engine
speed to drop, the balls spring in and this then makes the throttle
open and increase the engine speed. When the engine is really flying, you
get the balls "out"

Geraint