Re: TR6 Pistons & Rods

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Pistons & Rods
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill1@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 16:21:37 +0000
Many thanks to the folks that responded to my request for advice
about rods & pistons for my TR6 vintage-racecar-in-progress. I
received a number of valuable suggestions and sources, for which I'm
most appreciative. I'd be happy to forward a synopsis of those
suggestions to anyone who wants it.

To those few who bemoaned the possible use of Carillo rods/Cosworth
pistons in a TR6, let me suggest that you re-read my request. Nothing
would make me happier than to find a way to use the stock parts -
that was the whole point of my inquiry. You might also check the
dates that the TR6 was made - this is not a "car from the early 50s".

To Mr. DeBoer, who advised "don't expect me to admire your choices or
approve of them" and Susan the "purist" who fears the creation of a
"butchered, overrestored, modified or wrecked . . . flaired and
chaired wonder", I have no idea what to say.

I started racing at 17 with an Austin Healey 100-6 and now, a TR4,
a Formula Ford, a vintage Can-Am car and thirtysome years later I'd
like to build a TR6 that's reliable, true to its era and street
legal. Thanks to the members of this list, I'm quite a ways closer to
that goal than I was last week.

Thanks to my last posting to the vintage-race list, I've also
located a source for a repro Dunlop suit, like the first driving
suit I ever had. Except that now its 2 or 3 layers instead of one,
and is made of Nomex instead of cotton. In the eyes of some, I
suppose that makes it butchered and overrestored. In my eyes, that
just makes it safer and more reliable.

Jim Hill
Madison WI