Canada Class - HWS

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Canada Class - HWS
From: Murray Taylor <mtaylor@mgl.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 19:22:25 -0500
Mike - I agree fully with a general posting of your E-mail!I have a muddy
copy of the picture you mentioned and also a picture from the book "RPM a
History of Motorsport in Quebec" What I really need is a good picture of the
front and rear suspensions.The chassis I have isn't the original. I don't
know if you have heard the story or not. Ollie, Don Robinson and Rod
Thurgood bought the car from Dick Hamilton for the 1959 season but 3 men
can't drive one car very easily! Don had a welding shop so the group decided
to build an exact replica of the HWS they shared. Before they could complete
the second car the infighting led them to dissolve the partnership. They
sold the car and it was never seen again. In September I bought what
remained of the never finished replica. This consisted of a pristine tube
frame, wheels, brake drums, an engine, windshield and carb airbox. Since the
car is technically a replica and was never completed it isn't
legal for VARAC. When I get enough info I plan to ask for an exemption (like
Craig Pick/Kiki Mk.V) If you can help with any info it would be greatly
appreciated.
        This is my list of Canada Class cars I know still exist!
Autosport Special - Dick Baker has it hidden in his collection ( very
similar to                     your V.A.Y.)
Autosport Mk.II - Mike McLaughlan bought it from Mike Nilson (Previously may
have been called Wheeler Spl./Jack Wheeler renamed it when Bob
Hanna the builder, left Autosport)
Dreossi - Doug Elcomb
Ferret Mk.I - Gary Wolf
Hamilton-Whitton Special - Me (well sort of)
P&G Mk.V - Jack Velden
V.A.Y - Mike Rosen
Mantis - last seen in Kitchener, On in about 1982(also a former Oliver
Clubine          car, Sprite engine/Fiat 600 gearbox)