Re: intro: me & my Italia

To: Mike Engard <mikee@home.bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: intro: me & my Italia
From: Grand_Wazoo <Grand_Wazoo@mail.flinet.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 19:03:00 -0800
Here's a few more thoughts for you Mike -

Mike Engard wrote:
> I'm not sure about what is and is not allowed by the
> rules in the different groups concerning originality both from the
> idea of a chassis that didn't belong to this particular car or an
> upgraded chassis, ie TR-4 rack and pinion instead of TR-3 cam and
> lever.

While changeing the steering to rack and pinion may not be worth the
effort,
I doubt any organization would know enough to disallow it based on
originality.

A different chassis that is otherwise the same as the existing one would
not be
illegal.

Now an upgrade to coil over shocks, disk brakes in the rear etc would be
not viewed
favorably by stricter organizations such as SVRA

> What about all those things I've
> always heard of like Alfin brakes, close ratio gearboxes?
A few folks have alfin brakes, I don't and have never faded a brake on
my TR3,
that includes the famous hairpin turn at Sebring.

join the conversation in the FOT mailing list relative to close ratio
gearsets.
They are hard to find and some of the guys are trying to get a few sets
made or
located.

> What size tires? Wire wheels are a strict no-no? Since this is a coupe do I
> still need a roll bar? A roll cage? Obviuosly I would want something
> required or not, but since weight is such a factor(it is isn't it?)
> I'd like to know my alternatives.

Tire rules in SVRA will pretty much dictate what you run if you join
with them.
Few of us would recommend racing on wire wheels anymore, modern tires
are too good
and you'll rip the wheels to pieces in short order.  Definately
recommend alloys
such as Panasports or other modern brands that try to look like
minilites.

SVRA present tire rules require bias ply racing tires - Hoosiers or
Goodyear Blue
Streaks or Dunlops are the ones I see at the track.  Other groups allow
radials,
185x70-15 is the size range.

Roll bar required by all groups for anything other than exhibition.  I
recommend
you build to SCCA specs - every group will accept that.  consider making
it a cage
since your car is a hard top and it wouldn't look odd.

>    I will certainly appreciate any response to my questions.
> According to Burt Levy this is a fine bunch of people and I look
> forward to becoming a part of it!

Burt Levy!  you think any of us consider his endorsement to be a favor
to us?
But seriously, he's a fun guy - I've had a bunch of really exciting
races with him.
Too bad he wasn't ever racing his own car.  Beware, he'll do darn near
anything to
be allowed to drive your car in a race while you watch.