"Vintage" ?????

To: Gary <speckman@coredcs.com>
Subject: "Vintage" ?????
From: JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu (James A. Isbell)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 19:09:00 -0600
>wow..thanks for being so nice.  What has me, personally, riled up is the
>"introduction" of late model NASCAR cars at "our"  "vintage" events..  I
>dont think it takes much thought (myopic as it may be) to see that these
>cars, in particular, are not "vintage" cars.  The organization I race with
>most is called the Vintage Sports Car Drivers Association.  Is a 1993 Ford
>Thundbird "vintage"..is it a "sports car"?  I doubt even the most myopic
>person would see these cars as either,,yet they are invited and allowed to
>race at VSCDA events.  I just dont agree with this.

I agree with this.  No problem.  But what riles me is that there seems to be
some feeling that "vintage" is etched in stone somewhere at 1972.  What was
it etched in stone at in 1970?

I have a 1979 Lola and no one but some parking lot Autocrossers will let me
race with them.

There seems to be some idea that if your car is less than 25 years old you
are an agressive driver.  Most of the complaints are not at the car but at
the attitude of the drivers.  If this is truly the problem than the type of
car should be accomodated as long as the driving style is moderate.

My Lola has slicks front and back and a wing in its FA configuration, but my
team moto is "Race?  Hell, were just here for the cocktail party!"  which
prety well summs up our "on track" atitude.  We are here for fun, we dont
cut anyone off, we dont hit anyone, we just want to go fast while safe.

>btw..I am curious, what would YOUR definition of "vintage" be?

I think it should at least have a "rolling date" edge rather than the
arbitrary 1972 cut off date that has been im place for several years now so
as to exclude slicks and wings.  Is there something "nasty" and unpleasant
about slicks and wings?  You would think so to hear many "vintage" racers
talk.  But probably more to the point, it should include cars that are no
longer competitive, no longer raced at any "money" level, raced by drivers
who are intrested in preserving them for posterity and having fun, and cars
that were once raced at least in marque if not that exact car.  Probably a
rolling date of 15 years old would meet those criteria along with an
attitude check on the drivers.  And separating cars into groups of like
performance.

I dont propose mixing the cars, Lord forbid, I just think my Lola should not
be a second class citizen.  The only racing I can do is in the demonstration
class which is supposed to stay at 40MPH, but doesnt.  I am mixed with
Cobras, Mustangs, Corvettes, and Indy cars all going flat out.  Most of them
cant even see me because I am so low.  The wing is the only thing that keeps
me alive.

The last time out my little FA was screaming its heart out and a damned Indy
car was lapping me every other lap, scaring hell out of me when it went by
each time.  They should not be mixed like that.

                                                          Jim

  "Better an outlaw than not free."
                         Nance O'Neil

1970 XKE 2+2
1974 Bricklin
1978 44' ketch "Millennium Falcon"
         "Its the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve
parsecs."
                                                                  Han Solo
1979 Lola T540 Formula Atlantic
1985 XJS