Panasport Rims

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Panasport Rims
From: Jackson Zimmermann <jzimmerm%acva@mail.co.albemarle.va.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 10:51:52 -0500
I'm getting my X-mas list together and have a quick question out there
for all those with Panasport rims.  I'm looking at one of two sizes for
my square-bodied Sprite, either 13X5 or 13X5.5.  I get a few conflicting
remarks about fitting the larger rims.  The consensus seems to be that
with some careful work on the inner fenders with a jack and a shaped
block of wood, that 13X5.5 rims and up to 185/60 tires (can you say
T/A-R1s) could be fitted (quarter-elliptic springs with a panhard rod).
Therefore I am getting ready to specify the 13X5.5 size with 20mm offset
and perhaps play a little with spacers.  Currently I've still got the
stock 13X3.5 rims with 155-SR13 tires and half inch spacers for
additional stability, no rubbing at all and still have some outer
clearance at the rear fender.  Any comments about fittment?

Now the real question is whether anyone has used the Light (race or autox
version) of the Panasport rims on the road.  The car is dual purpose for
autox and street and I'm intrigued by the weight savings with the Lights.
 I've heard that they're actually pretty tough and that bending one would
probably take a pretty good wack on a curb.  Would anyone who owns a set
of these really council not using them on the street?  I know that they
are not DOT approved and say "For Race Use Only", but realistically is it
that likely that they'll bend on the street?

Please E-mail me directly.

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@mail.co.albemarle.va.us
'64 A-H Sprite