Re: Vintage Race Dilemmas...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage Race Dilemmas...
From: "HENRY BAHN OF RESD" <hbahn@SMOKE.ESUSDA.GOV>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:44:26 +500
Don't be in too much of  a hurry to define (in advance) what will become
the vintage cars of the future.  When I started screwing around w/sports
cars in the early '60s, Bug Eye Sprites were pretty low on the food
chain, and now  . . .

Looking back 15 years or so,  there were some interesting cars around
- the usual suspects like BMW 2002's, Datsun PL 510's etc, but also
stuff  like Cosworth Vega's, Citation X 11's, various rice rockets and God
only knows what else.

Personally, I like the idea of a rolling date for eligibility, with a
race history (if they competed then, they can compete now).  That
includes "stock cars" (isn't that what TransAm was supposed to be but
didn't sustain itself) - personally, I enjoy seeing  late '80s stock
cars on a road course.  I sure don't want to see the "vintage police"
deciding what is and what isn't - there's too much of that BS in most
other aspects of life!

JH Bahn
'66 Datsun SPL311 FP roadster