Fiat 850 x-racer

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Fiat 850 x-racer
From: Kdoc111@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 10:09:12 -0400
This Sunday I attended the last autocross of the season in Cincinnati, OH.
 One of the cars that showed-up was a Fiat 850.   The car was red with neat
Italian alloy wheels, a roll-bar, a cut-down windscreen and a gutted
interior.  The owners, 2 brothers in their late 20s, found the car about 9
years ago in a Florida barn.  This was only the second time the brothers had
been behind the little Fiat's wheel; they're finally having the time and
money to spend.

The body of the car was in outstanding condition.  The original SCCA-type
roll-bar was neatly installed and the car carried a large tach in place of
the speedo (in the original dash).  Admiring their little gem, I asked the
brothers about any known history.  From what they know, this 850 spent much
of its life as a racer.  The original speedo (which they have) indicates only
22,000 miles on the odo.  In addition,  old log books were found with the
car.

The pretty little 850 ran a total of 16 autocross runs of about 1 minute each
without any problems.  Even idling in line for a while did not trouble the
car.  Other than getting the car running and safe, the brothers have not done
any real engine work.  Though a tear-down is planned this winter.

With little encouragement I plan to see the car running a lot next season in
our local autox events.  But as they get used to the car, I'm sure the'll
want to get some track-time with it someday, likely with a Vintage-race
group.

Why can't I find things like this?

Have a nice winter.
K. O'Connor