Re: TR4 Gearboxes

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@FORBIN.COM>
Subject: Re: TR4 Gearboxes
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 16:33:58 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, Jack W. Drews wrote:

> If this is a duplicate to J Alexander's message on close-ratios, delete
> now...
>
> Two of us TR4 Vintage Racers in the midwest would like close ratios for
> our transmissions. We desire to enhance our driving pleasure, over and
> above decreasing lap times, because second gear is just too low to be
> useful. We would like to stay away from the additional weight and
> complication of overdrive transmissions if possible. Catalogs advertise
> close ratio gears but the companies do not really have them. We have
> heard that Triumph Dolomite gearboxes were close ratio and gears would
> work, and we could maybe find some in England or Australia, but printed
> materials we can find do not seem to support the notion that these were
> closer ratio gearsets than standard Triumph gears.
>
> Can anyone help with parts, advice, etc?

You might try:

Quantum Mechanics
John Esposito
505 Wheeler Road
Monroe, Connecticut  06468
(203) 261-0845
(203) 261-8497 fax.

John knows his stuff. He told me about the Dolomite Sprint gears just
recently. He seems to sell several sets of them a year. According to
John, the first gear is higher than stock, the second is a smidge higher
than stock. Can't speak for the rest of the gears available in the set.
Some of the Triumph books probably can fill you in on the actual ratios.

I have no direct experience with changing gear ratios. I have dealt with
John, and he seems to be a "straight shooter".

That is all.

rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own???