Re: Detonation

To: Gerald Brazil <GBrazil@gnn.com>
Subject: Re: Detonation
From: "Earl W. Zwickey" <zwickey@arn.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 22:34:41 -0700
Gerald Brazil wrote:

> Can't remember who started the questions about detonation, oxygen sensors,
> compression ratios etc., so I' just throw this up in the air. A company
> called Diamond Elkins makes a detonation sensor. This could be a better
> alternative to the O2 sensor for people who want to get on the ragged edge of
> max advance.  I have not yet used one so this is not personal testimony, but
> SMOKEY thinks they are a good idea. They have an 800 # it is, 800-552-2112.

My concern with detonation sensors is that they are "after the fact"
devices.  Detonation triggers high frequency vibrations which can be
detected at a low amplitude--certainly at a level sufficiently low to
prevent damage.  That is why many of today's street cars have them--they
then retard the ignition.  BUT, detonation has already started.  From a
practical standpoint they are probably fine, but I can't get excited
about it on my race car.  And what if it deteriorates?  You probably
won't hear it with open exhaust.  Just a thought...

Earl Zwickey