Re: Boiling Point of Water

To: Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com
Subject: Re: Boiling Point of Water
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 9:52:28 PDT
Dave Lapham scribbled:

>         Reply to:   RE>Boiling Point of Water
>
> On: 7/7/96   JHarkness@aol.com wrote:
>
> >  I'm looking for the pressure/temperature relationship for water.
> > More specifically, what happens to boiling point as I switch from
> > a 7 pound radiator cap to a 13 pound cap in my TR3?  (No anti-freeze).
>
> Quite seriously, what might happen is that the radiator may split it's
> seams unless you've done something extraordinary to beef it up.

The problsm with the seams is that on old cars, the tanks are rather
tall and flat sided.  Notice how low profile the modern rad tanks are?
The problem with the seams is that the front and rear panels of the tank
bulge, pulling at the seams until they split.  One way to beef up the
tanks is to solder some pieces of Copper tubing (3/8 or 1/2 inch OD) to
the tanks.  They should be positioned vertically, and 2 or 3 should keep
it from bulging.  I did this on an old Alfa radiator that was notorious
for this problem, and have not had a problem since.