Re: No oil pressure

To: "Vintage Racers" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No oil pressure
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 31 May 1995 14:02:35 U
        Reply to:   RE>>No oil pressure
On  5/31/95  Hans Huber wrote:

> re: priming the oil pump on A-series engines.
>
> a friend of mine has a cool way to do this. take an empty fire
> extinguisher, put about a quart of oil in it, and pressurize
> (seems like we used about100 psi).  now squirt the oil into
> the oil pressure guage fitting using a suitable rubber thingy
> so that you can get a decent seal.  presto, primed pump.

Hmmmm, I haven't tried to start the 1275cc engine I've rebuilt
just yet, but my understanding is that it has an opening (which
normally has a large, short bolt in it) at the back of the block
on the left hand side (facing forward) which is for the purpose
of priming the oil pump.  I'm pretty sure the 1098cc engines also
have this although I don't know about 948cc engines.

Big Healeys drive the oil pump off the cam via a geared shaft
that extends downwards, similar to the distributor drive
mechanism (disty drive shaft extends upward, of course).  I
don't know of a good way to prime a big Healey oil pump,
although I have heard of it being done through the oil pressure
guage line.  I just wait until I'm ready to start the engine before
I put any oil in it.  Then I dump the oil in with the rocker cover
off and make sure I get copious amounts everywhere.

     --  Dave L.