Re: Spridget half shafts

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Spridget half shafts
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 18 May 1995 08:39:07 U
        Reply to:   RE>Spridget half shafts
> From: Roger Garnett
> OK, everyone knows that Sprite/Midget half shafts have a limited
> life when used with race or other high HP engines- Thus the
> availability of the "Uprated Competition halfshafts for $$$.

> As my "warm" 948 engine makes 80 HP at best, I can get away with
> decent factory units, but I'd really like to nail down which are which.

> Does anyone out there know what came in which vintage cars? If you
> know, or have a Sprite or Midget from 58-79, check the numbers on the
> hub face on the shaft, and let me know what it is.

I don't information at hand, but I recollect an article in Chatter in '90 or
'91 that talked (I think) about numbers stamped on the hub.  Seems like
'17' was common, and '25' also appeared.  They represented, as I recall,
the hardness or quality of the axle steel.  I think the '25' was better.
This is all from somewhat fuzzy memory, however.