tvr

Re: ww conversion

To: zehrinwa@umdnj.edu, TVR@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: ww conversion
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 15:12:32 EST

>True/false:
>conversion of a disk wheel'd 1971 Vixen 2500 to wire wheels is an easy
>operation, because the hubs are 'bolt on' and do not require other more
>elaborate conversions.  Is this true?
>
>cheers,
>Will Zehring

Will-
True/False...yes

There are 2 ways to do the conversion. The easy way, and the original way. If
you go for orinality, you will have to change (or cut off) the original wheel
studs. The fronts are a piece-o-cake as they are just a press fit. The rears
on the other hand are a bear to change. The studs screw in and are then
severly peened over on the back side.  Much careful grinding/chipping of stud
material is needed before you can unscrew the studs.
Now for the easy way. Make up some 1/4"(or thereabouts...you'll need to
measure to be exact) spacers to go over the studs so that the splined adapters
do not bottom out on the studs (the reason why they used shorter studs in the
original.)
The stock TVR wheel has a much larger offset (to the outside) than most any
other stock wheel of that vintage (I assume you are gonna use TR wheels or the
like), and the slight increase in track provided by the spacers will actually
help maintain the original TVR track width. Additionally, with the spacer
setup, you can always go back to original (or otherwise) wheels. If you cut
off the studs you'll hate yourself later.
Don't forget that you will have to use the correct wire wheel lug nuts also,
the ones you have will not fit.
If you are buying some older wire wheels, a few quick tips. The splined
adapters usually wear more than the wheels, but either/both will wear out. The
original splines are a sort of truncated peak, and as they wear they become
more pointed, so the more pointed the tops of the splines, the more worn out
they are. As they continue to wear, one side of the peak will tend to "lean"
over more than the other. At this point the adapters are about junk. Inspect
them carefully. Also try to put the adapters and their respective wheels on
the same side, and front rear location, of the car they came from. (The wear
will be opposite side to side on the rear and opposite side to side on the
front, and front opposite to rear! Confused? Remember that the rears will wear
more from acceleration and the fronts from braking.)

Never wanted to be "Wired" myself...
           Nick in Nor Cal