Re: [TR] sandblasting

To: Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] sandblasting
From: DAVE HOGYE <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 21:02:11 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "Triumphs \(triumphs@autox.team.net\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_1658222_1273600009.1587700931755

Back in '08-'09, I had my TR3 body tub and frame blasted at a local powder
coating company.  $300 each.  They blasted every square inch with crushed
garnet.  The tub was stripped of every bolt-on part.  In two different visits,
I set up both items on my makeshift engine stand rotisserie, with custom
attachments, to make it a lot easier for them and the best outcome.  Worth
every penny and more.
Skip this part if you can and have a company do this work.  You might even
consider a mobile unit come to you.  Different media can be used depending on
paint or rust.  Special care has to be taken on body parts, not to warp them,
but if the person has a little finesse, any harm can be avoided.
The important part of good blasting is high CFM from the compressor.  If you
don't have enough CFM, you'll be working way too hard for way too long.
Dave H.

> On April 23, 2020 at 8:25 PM Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I stripped a TR4 years ago over the course of I don't remember how many
> evenings after work, using several gallons of paint stripper bought at
> closeout tool store, saying never again and wishing I had a sandblaster.
>
>     Be careful what you wish for I guess.
>
>     Greg Lemon
>     TR250
>
>     On Thu, Apr 23, 2020, 9:08 PM Jeff Scarbrough < fishplate@gmail.com
> mailto:fishplate@gmail.com > wrote:
>
>         > >

> >         On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 8:53 PM Michael Porter < mdporter@dfn.com
> > mailto:mdporter@dfn.com > wrote:
> >
> >             > > >

> > >                 > > > >
> > >             Which reminds me of J.E. Gordon's (The New Science of Strong
> > > Materials) remark about production welding:  "Welding is like Hell--fun
> > > for the first three or four hours."
> > >

> > >         > >
> >         There was a time when I couldn't wait to learn how to run the
> > cotton picker at work.  It got old kind of quick...But it still beat a day
> > in the office in front of the computer.
> >

> >         ** triumphs@autox.team.net mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net **
> >
> >         Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> >         Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
> > http://www.team.net/archive
> >
> >         Unsubscribe/Manage:
> > http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/grglmn@gmail.com
> >
> >     >     ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>
>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
> http://www.team.net/archive
>
>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dlhogye@comcast.net

------=_Part_1658222_1273600009.1587700931755

<!doctype html>
 <head>
 </head>
color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   Back in '08-'09, I had my TR3 body tub and frame blasted at a local powder
coating company.&nbsp; $300 each.&nbsp; They blasted every square inch with
crushed garnet.&nbsp; The tub was stripped of every bolt-on part.&nbsp; In two
different visits, I set up both items on my makeshift engine stand rotisserie,
with custom attachments, to make it a lot easier for them and the best
outcome.&nbsp; Worth every penny and more.
color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   Skip this part if you can and have a company do this work.&nbsp; You might
even consider a mobile unit come to you.&nbsp; Different media can be used
depending on paint or rust.&nbsp; Special care has to be taken on body parts,
not to warp them, but if the person has a little finesse, any harm can be
avoided.
color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   The important part of good blasting is high CFM from the compressor.&nbsp;
If you don't have enough CFM, you'll be working way too hard for way too
long.&nbsp;
color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
   Dave H.
color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">
    I stripped a TR4 years ago over the course of I don't remember how many
evenings after work, using several gallons of paint stripper bought at closeout
tool store, saying never again and wishing I had a sandblaster.&nbsp;&nbsp;
     Be careful what you wish for I guess.
       Greg Lemon
       TR250
     On Thu, Apr 23, 2020, 9:08 PM Jeff Scarbrough &lt;
        On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 8:53 PM Michael Porter &lt;
        <a target="_blank" href="mailto:mdporter@dfn.com";
rel="noopener">mdporter@dfn.com</a>&gt; wrote:
Materials</em>) remark about production welding:&nbsp; "Welding is like
Hell--fun for the first three or four hours."</p>
        There was a time when I couldn't wait to learn how to run the cotton
picker at work.&nbsp; It got old kind of quick...But it still beat a day in the
office in front of the computer.
        &nbsp;
     <a target="_blank" href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";
rel="noopener">triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **