Re: [TR] Serious rocker arm misalignment with pishrod

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Serious rocker arm misalignment with pishrod
From: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul1@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 16:06:02 -0400
Cc: "Triumph list Team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--000000000000ae765c057589e3b5

Thanks for the tip! I guess spinning the pushrod helps while youlift it
slowly.

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 3:44 PM Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:

> > would be the time to check if that pushrod was straight.  But
> > to be careful not to dislodge it's tappet.  Question: isin't
> > the tappet held in place?  How could it be dislodged?
> > Maybe my biggest challenge is remembering how to set the
> > valves after this.  Isin't there an accepted procedure of how
> > to do this somewhere on the internet? What about a list of
> > torque settings?
>
> The tappet rides in a bore in the block; the pushrod is the only thing that
> keeps it from coming up out of the bore.  If you lift the pushrod rapidly,
> the puddle of oil in the lifter can cause it to come up with the pushrod.
> Then it falls off, but lands sideways and won't go back into the bore.
>
> I have managed to fiddle them back into place, but usually the head has to
> come off.
>
> Torque settings (most of them) in the front of the workshop manual.  The
> PDF
> version I linked to before also has a service note (but I think it has all
> the same torque values).
>
> -- Randall

--000000000000ae765c057589e3b5

=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 3:44 PM Randall &=
lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tr3driver@ca.rr.com";>tr3driver@ca.rr.com</a>&gt; wrote=
:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;bor=
der-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">&gt; would be the time to check i=
f that pushrod was straight.=C2=A0 But <br>
&gt; to be careful not to dislodge it&#39;s tappet.=C2=A0 Question: isin&#3=
9;t <br>
&gt; the tappet held in place?=C2=A0 How could it be dislodged?<br>
&gt; Maybe my biggest challenge is remembering how to set the <br>
&gt; valves after this.=C2=A0 Isin&#39;t there an accepted procedure of how=
&gt; to do this somewhere on the internet? What about a list of <br>
&gt; torque settings?<br>
The tappet rides in a bore in the block; the pushrod is the only thing that=
keeps it from coming up out of the bore.=C2=A0 If you lift the pushrod rapi=
dly,<br>
the puddle of oil in the lifter can cause it to come up with the pushrod.<b=
r>
Then it falls off, but lands sideways and won&#39;t go back into the bore.<=
br>
I have managed to fiddle them back into place, but usually the head has to<=
br>
come off.<br>
Torque settings (most of them) in the front of the workshop manual.=C2=A0 T=
he PDF<br>
version I linked to before also has a service note (but I think it has all<=
br>
the same torque values).<br>
-- Randall=C2=A0 <br>

--000000000000ae765c057589e3b5--