Re: [TR] wiring or ?

To: dave n <dave@ranteer.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] wiring or ?
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahneetr@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 09:21:33 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--bcaec548a62710d520051bf1dd4a

If you have not gone through all the tests in the Lucas Fault Manual - that
is where I would start.

Pretty sure there is a copy available online if you do not have it (really
worth having).  Possibly the same tests are in the shop manual or Haynes -
but the Lucas manual always seemed to me to be the easiest to follow and be
sure I have covered everything.

Geo

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 7:55 AM, dave n <dave@ranteer.com> wrote:

>   57 TR3, small mouth, early disk brake car.  supposedly everything is
> new and/or rebuilt, but i'm not so sure.  car has been being worked on for
> a decade; this car was mostly put together by an incompetent mechanic, so
> keep that in mind.  i am still trying to finish the car and undo his crap.
>
> we put the instrument panel in and wired the supposedly new set of
> gauges.  we finally got the car running, and its got about 2 miles on it.
> the red generator stayed lit during these 2 miles.  we finally figured out
> he had supplied a positive ground generator for a negative ground car,
> flashed the generator, and the light went out.
>
> we then discovered that the gas gauge did not work.  we pulled it, tried
> some things, discovered that the sending unit was not working, replaced
> that, but the gauge still did not work.  had the gauge rebuilt, and now its
> working.
>
> but the generator light is back on.  we thought it might be the voltage
> regulator, but we pulled it and tested it with nothing suspicious.  plus i
> swapped in a regulator from a running car, with no change.
>
> i'm thinking it could be the ammeter, or possibly when we were messing
> with the fuel gauge, we caused something to short or loosened a
> connection.  this car has a heater, so all that stuff is really crammed in
> there.
>
> i've got a tr4 ammeter, which according to moss, is the same.  and i'm
> going to look at the wiring.  any ideas, thoughts, recommendations, etc are
> more than welcome.
>
> not only is this guy a lousy mechanic, he put a bunch of philip head
> screws and bolts into a car which never had anything but slotted head.
> plus he had my car for several years without actually doing anything on
> it.  so by the time we discovered there were issues with the paint, it was
> too late to go back to the painter.  and i had specifically asked him to
> make sure the paint was ok when he picked it up from the painter.  then he
> said it was my fault for approving it, when i wasn't even there.
>

> ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:

--bcaec548a62710d520051bf1dd4a

tty sure there is a copy available online if you do not have it (really wor=
th having).=C2=A0 Possibly the same tests are in the shop manual or Haynes =
- but the Lucas manual always seemed to me to be the easiest to follow and =
015 at 7:55 AM, dave n <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dave@ranteer=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc so=
lid;padding-left:1ex">
pt">
 is=20
new and/or rebuilt, but i&#39;m not so sure.=C2=A0 car has been being worke=
d on for=20
a decade; this car was mostly put together by an incompetent mechanic, so k=
eep=20
that in mind.=C2=A0 i am still trying to finish the car and undo his crap.=
=C2=A0=20
gauges.=C2=A0 we finally got the car running, and its got about 2 miles on=
=20
it.=C2=A0 the red generator stayed lit during these 2 miles.=C2=A0 we final=
ly=20
figured out he had supplied a positive ground generator for a negative grou=
nd=20
car, flashed the generator, and the light went out.</div>
,=20
tried some things, discovered that the sending unit was not working, replac=
ed=20
that, but the gauge still did not work.=C2=A0 had the gauge rebuilt, and no=
w its=20
working.</div>
=20
voltage regulator, but we pulled it and tested it with nothing suspicious.=
=C2=A0=20
plus i swapped in a regulator from a running car, with no change.</div>
sing with=20
the fuel gauge, we caused something to short or loosened a connection.=C2=
=A0=20
this car has a heater, so all that stuff is really crammed in there.</div>
=A0 and i&#39;m=20
going to look at the wiring.=C2=A0 any ideas, thoughts, recommendations, et=
c are=20
more than welcome.</div>
crews=20
and bolts into a car which never had anything but slotted=20
head.=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 plus he had my car for several years without actual=
ly=20
doing anything on it.=C2=A0 so by the time we discovered there were issues =
with=20
the paint, it was too late to go back to the painter.=C2=A0 and i had=20
specifically asked him to make sure the paint was ok when he picked it up f=
rom=20
the painter.=C2=A0 then he said it was my fault for approving it, when i wa=
sn&#39;t=20
** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> *=
*<br>
=3D"noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>