[TR] TR6 Rear End Clunk

Subject: [TR] TR6 Rear End Clunk
From: keithstewart at execulink.com (Keith Stewart)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 17:49:54 -0400
A little help from TR6 owners please. I have a TR3 and a TR4 but lately have
been looking to purchase a TR6. I recently looked at one quite a distance from
where I live but have a concern about a clunk in the rear. When both I and the
owner drove it, there was a mild clunk coming from the rear when engaging the
clutch from a standstill and when I drove it, sometimes when shifting gears
just before engaging the next gear. It seemed similar to what I have
experienced when one of my cars needed a new universal joint. The owner
indicated that he understood from other TR6 owners that "...that was the way
TR6s were". He tells me the universal joints and the differential mounts were
replaced . From what I have read, this might relate to worn diff mounts that
lead to cracks in the frame where they mount. Since the diff mounts were
replaced, it shouldn't be worn diff joints. What is the wisdom of the list
relative to this rear-end clunk?

Keith R. Stewart
75 Camden Road
London, Ontario