Re: [TR] 1974 TR6

To: "'TOM BARILLA'" <TJBARILLA@COX.NET>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] 1974 TR6
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:40:44 -0700
Hi Tom :

Welcome to the list, Tom.

> My battery went totally dead so I purchased a new Sears
> Diehard.  After installation my 1974 TR6 started right up and
> was charging at around 12.5-13 on the amp meter.

12.5-13 is not enough to charge the battery; and that's a voltmeter, not an
ammeter.

> How can I have a battery drain with no fuses in the fuse box?
>  Am I doing something wrong?

Of course there should not be a drain with the fuses removed, so that is the
problem you are looking for.  On a TR6 there are quite a few items that are
not protected by the fuses, so removing all the fuses does not remove power
from everything.  Since it sounds like your alternator is also not working
quite right, I would be tempted to start by disconnecting it and seeing if
the drain goes away.  But there should be a junction block in the positive
battery lead where you can disconnect other major portions of the car, to
narrow down where the drain might be.

Another place to check would be the anti-runon solenoid under the carbon
canister, which gets unfused power whenever the ignition key is off.  It's
circuit is supposed to be interrupted by the oil pressure switch when the
oil pressure falls off, but the switch may be defective or misconnected,
etc.

You might want to download the schematic for your car, from
http://www.advanceautowire.com/schematics.htm

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net